Monday, December 16, 2013

Defending my Opinion

It's not like I didn't know it was going to happen, but as soon as I began to write about pro shot shooting system, I knew I would be attacked for it and that's okay. The surprising thing is that I thought to backlash would be bigger.

Having not checked the blog since I posted yesterday, I was unaware of the comments left on yesterday's post. As I said, I am more than willing to discuss and debate the issue with anyone including the innovator which I found out today was someone named coach Hoover. Now, I am sure coach Hoover is a great guy and a very nice man who means well. I found out from the comments, that he even gives his information away for free. That is very noble and altruistic of him and he should be commended on that. If he can give all his information away for free more power to him. Personally when I run camps, clinics or private instruction, I do have to charge a fee however nominal it may be. I guess some people are independently wealthy like that.

As for any evidence, all I asked was that someone show me the statistical proof that 90% of all shots fall short. I would love to see that analysis since in my experience, it seems implausible. Neither of the comments were able to offer that. Maybe they can get the information from coach Hoover since it seems he is more than willing to share all his information for free as the commentator said in his post.

As for me, it's not every day I get accused of slander. Not a surprise, although I'd be interested in my slanderous comments. My issue with coach Hoover was that he attacked steph curry and Kevin love for not being smart enough to realize they were not doing what they said they were doing. I didn't say that, coach Hoover did. Personally, I believe they know EXACTLY what they are talking about and know EXACTLY what they are doing. I was asked to offer evidence of my opinion. Personally, my
only evidence is that if one understands what players are doing when they shoot or play, then he understands that what I offered yesterday was correct and my assessment of pro shot, to be accurate. I don't need my own video to show that. I can use the very videos posted by pro shot to prove it as I pointed out yesterday.

As for endorsements, I cannot answer why some people endorsed pro shot and some did not. I do not know if anyone was paid to endorse the system or if they did endorse it, that they endorsed it for  free. For that, they would have to ask the endorser. All I offered was why I did not endorse pro
shot. Of course, this was my opinion and people are free to disagree, but I thought my critique was honest, fair and to the point. I was not the one who, whether trying to be humorous or not, accused people of lying and/or coaches being too stupid to realize that the evolution of their teaching methods were traced back to the House of Moses All stars. That again, was done by coach Hoover.

My singular point remains the same. One cannot rip on the entire process of shooting and then piggy back on the end result and claim they have an entire new way to teach which in doing so, attempts to destroy the very process that led to the end result. I offered exactly why I felt the information was misguided and I asked specific questions about how pro shot would handle certain specific circumstances and none of them were addressed. Instead, I was attacked personally and my integrity questioned which is not something I wasn't prepared for, but I will answer those attacks just the same.

I am just a simple basketball coach whose knowledge of the game was acquired by making pretty much every mistake that could be made in coaching. I have lost too many games I should have won and won a few I should have lost. Nature of the beast. I have never claimed to know everything there is to know about basketball, but I'd say my mistakes have taught me more than I thought I would ever learn so for that I am extremely grateful. I don't have a shiny set of DVD's to sell and never designed any new ways to shoot or jump. All I ever did was try through basketball, to help young men grow into adulthood with enough life lessons to make the really hard days a little bit easier. Hopefully, by teaching them how to deal with adversity and the lessons of hard work, success, failure, commitment, teamwork and belief in something greater and other than themselves, I was able to make the tough times a little easier, the good times a little more appreciated. I worked so that my record was not defined by wins and losses but by what kind of men, fathers, husbands and leaders my players grew up to be. If they ended up in prison, addicted to drugs or lousy fathers or husbands, then what did I accomplish? We won a few games? And then what? Is that it?

So feel free to say what you want about me. I am a big boy, I can take it. But in big boy world, if you put something out there that misinterprets what is going on in order to move your own agenda, be prepared for what follows. As always, I am more than happy to discuss this issue further with coach Hoover, his followers or anyone else. I stand by my assessment and still believe that the long term effects of a system like this is dangerous not only for kids, but for the game of basketball. That is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks for reading.























5 comments:

  1. I'm interested in your opinion. Why/how does it hurt players?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the question. I'd be glad to answer. If you look in the post from yesterday, you will see that I addressed the issue of the hop and the turn. In a nutshell, at full speed into the hop and turn with your feet at 10-1030, the room for error is far greater than if you 1-2 stepped using the off foot as your plant foot to gather yourself before you step in. The trouble spot in the system is the game slippage into an overturn or the moving target on the uncontrolled jump stop. Additionally, the footwork at 10 o'clock, the elimination of the jab step and the emphasis away from staying low

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is detrimental to the long term success of said player. It seems to me the emphasis on the nba player works to the disadvantage of 99.999% of the players who will not be playing in the league which is most of the paying customers of this program. Second, it seems to me that these ideas as I said before are to be used in utopian situations. What do you do with pressure? The guy that's in your pocket? Do you just take him off the dribble? How do you use this off screens? In the left corner? The emphasis away from core principles is worrisome for the player who can be really good, but passes by the things he really needs for his game in favor of an idea that relies on the actions of the top .0001% of players. Most all of the great shooters around, are steeped in fundamentals and the large majority of them use the 1-2 step not because its that much greater than the hop but because it is so much more powerful as a tool when the guy checking you is actually trying to keep you from scoring. In that case, you had better be able to go to something more than my feet at 10:30

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most shooters in the NBA use both depending on the situation. The hop is quicker, easier to get lined up to your shot, and is a lot of times more in rhythm. If you watch any good shooter they know when to use each one. Coach Hoover also says that it's not bad to be "squared up ten toes" as long as you turn in the air and get lined up. Shooting is supposed to be what's comfortable and most effective, and if you don't watch it narrow-mindedly and disliking things that you have been taught are wrong, then it actually makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I would address your comments if you weren't such a coward and would have left your name. Therefore you get what you deserve

      Delete